One day I’ll get around to recapping my recent trip to Latvia (I’m pretty sure that the photos are already edited so I have zero excuse for not posting them) but for now, I’m back with a quick and final This and That for 2016. This is my favorite column to write on the blog, so much so that at the moment I’m toying around with the idea of turning it into a podcast. In addition to that, I have about 12 business ideas that have been keeping me occupied with research and development so I’m fairly certain that 2017 is going to bring some amazing things this way personally and professionally!
While I might not have been in this space for a bit, I’ve definitely been on the internet and have a bunch of great articles for you today. Grab a cup of coffee, sit back, and enjoy!
Blogging + Business
- I’m loving this nifty tool from Jessica Hische that helps you say “no” to an unsuitable inquiry.
- The amazing women at Heart & Hustle Podcast featured me on their favorite things episode! Thanks guys!
- Kate is forever reminding me that I’m 11 books behind my 2016 reading goal and I’ve just about given up reading anything until next week.
- “The takeaway for me was don’t accept pickle juice, because if you do, you keep getting pickle juice.”
- Ché! You’re famous!
- Favorite new single-serving blog.
- Such a pretty updo! I’m going to try this out for the
Ready to Blog holiday partya dinner date with Ryan.
- The best books to help you kick start your blog or business this year.
- 9 books for creative entrepreneurs.
- What to do when a client goes silent.
- “My President Was Black” by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
- “Going to Harvard convinces everyone that you’re special, and you that you’re not.“. How 3 Harvard women regained their confidence after graduation – love this article written by a former classmate.
- Rolling Stone on how Trump’s presidency is shaping up to be an American tragedy.
- On the temerity to be terrible.
- What if jobs aren’t working anymore?
- Damn, I read a lot of The New Yorker this month:
Hazy visions of “healing” and “not becoming the hate we hate” sound dangerously like appeasement.
- I looooooooooooooove this. Good job, Big Brother.
- From the godson of David Duke on the son of the man who founded Stormfront: “Why I left white nationalism.” (NYT)
- Cropped out of my own fantasy. Ugh, hearthbreak emoji. (NYT)
- What happens when you’re groped at a party then you become his boss? (NYT)
The Best of the Rest
- The year we played ourselves.
- I didn’t have a full-blown, blissful meltdown to this like many did, but it was reasonably delightful. (Also, David Attenborough, don’t ever leave us.)
- I…did not know this about Coco Chanel. Added the book referenced to my reading list!
- I am shockingly, woefully behind on my Christmas shopping. As in, in a stark departure from everything I’ve known to be true about myself, I’ve done exactly no Christmas shopping yet. Anyhoo, here’s a guide to the most ridiculous gift guides.
- Amy Sherman-Palladino on those last four words. Also MY GOD I might need to re-watch the Gilmore Girls and live blog it. I had a serious attachment to that show when I was younger so I’m not sure if that blinded me to Rory and Lorelai being such terrible people. That must be it, right? I loved the revival, but yikes.
- An update on Rio since the olympics.
- Ah, one of my favorite celebrity doppelgänger pairs being adorable.
- Have you thought about moving from a beginner to an intermediate yoga practice? This is for you!
- I continue to be impressed by Gabrielle Union.
- I absolutely loved our visit to the Bodleian Library this year, but photos weren’t allowed. Here’s a great virtual tour!
- If you need a good laugh today.
- These athletic hijabs are making sports more accessible!
Okay! That’s it for this post and this year for the blog! 2016 has been long and often hard, but it’s been great, too. For me, personally, life has changed a lot. I’m going into 2017 happy and hopeful and I hope you are, too!